I personally wrote a essay about this topic once, it was an anthropology class or something connected with ethnicity. It came back to me recently and I thought about the post – so here are 13 cool, funny and sometimes shocking facts about a kiss. Maybe you know some of them – but for sure not all. Dig in!
1. In some cultures – during the ritual of kissing – the mouth is not used at all. Maori people and people of Inuit – rub their noses , Indians Capaya from Ekwador – smell the hand of their friends as a greeting, some tribes of New Guinea – put a hand under the armpit of another person and after – they are rubbing this hand over their own body to conserve the smell!!!!
2. There is a type of kissing called osculum infame, which means „kissing in the ass” literally. Long time ago it was considered as a tribute to devil. It was one of the accusations in the case against Knights Templar. However in old Greek beliefs Gods were supposed to kiss eachother in the ass – and it wasn’t the bravest sexual act possible for them.
3. During the kiss heart beating increases from 75 to 150 beats for a minute, and during average kiss we burn 12 calories.
4. That’ obvious – most of us kiss with closed eyes. But what you don’t know probably is that Greeks called this phenomenon with one word – myei – which means „outside blindness”. We do that to unite in one reality and find another person „inside world”.
5. Most of us kisses with turning the head RIGHT. It’s considered a reminiscence of our prenatal life – in the last trimester of pregnancy fetus has a tendency to turn the head right.
6. In a culture of one Indonasian city Banjar Kaja Sesetan there is a celebration of kissing called Omed-omedan. This day everybody kisses openly with everybody – it’s believed that this ritual is protecting the citizens from danger. Male participants are pulling and kissing girls while other villagers are pouring buckets of water towards them. What it’s interesting is that this tradition is one of a great way to find a boyfriend or girlfriend over there 😀
7. „Kamasutra” lists over 30 types of kisses.
8. French kissing similar to human (in a formal and funcional way) we can observe only in a chimpanzees Bonobo (pan paniscus) – research by Frans de Waal.
9. 10 % of the world doesn’t kiss at all – there are places in the world that people don’t kiss for many reasons, one of them is that some cultures find it dirty.
10. During the kiss we exchange:
- 40 000 microorganisms
- 250 different types of bacteria
- 0,7 grams of proteins
- 0,45 grams of fat
- 0,19 grams of other organic compounds
11. Many scientists believe that kissing evolved from kiss feeding, a process used by mothers to feed their infants by passing chewed food to their babies.
12. The longest kiss? Couple from Bangkok held a kiss for 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds on14th of February 2013 during the event called “kissathon”.
13. And finally – lips are 100 times more sensitive than the tips of the fingers. Not even genitals have as much sensitivity as lips. Kind of hard to believe – I know, but I guess it’s no way to really find out if it’s true.